Salkantay Trek to Macchupicchu 5 Days 4 nights, When thinking about Trekking Machu Picchu, the first thing that comes to mind is the Inca Trail Trek. Because of excessive crowds the Peruvian government decided not only to limit daily access but also to impose strict Inca Trail Regulations. We understand how frustrating it is to not be able to get a permit because you didn’t book 4 months in advance.
We a have a new alternative trek for you!!. The famous Salkantay Trek (or Salcantay Trek), recently named among the 25 best Treks in the World, by National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine is a trek open to everybody, with no limitation on spaces or permits.
The Salkantay Trek is an ancient and remote footpath located in the same region as the Inca Trail where massive snowcapped mountains collide with lush tropical rain forests. Located less than fifty miles northwest of the city of Cuzco in south central Peru by the Cordillera Vilcabamba.
Salkantay Mountain is an outstanding glacier-capped summit worshipped for thousands of years by local indians. The name Salkantay is a quechua word meaning “Savage Mountain”. Our classic Salkantay trek is a designed alternative to the traditional Inca Trail.
Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Soraypampa.
We will depart very early, around 5.00 am. We pick you up from your accommodation in Cusco and drive to Mollepata, where we will make a short stop to buy breakfast and any personal supplies for the trek.
We will then drive to Cruzpata (3 400 m.s.n.m) where we will organize the horses (who will carry the supplies and backpacks). From here we will start the hike – around 3 hours of walking and then a stop for lunch at Challabamba.
After lunch we walk around 4 hours more before the valley broadens and flattens out and the beautiful conical snow-capped peak of Nevado Salkantay comes into view. Here at Soraypampa (4000m) we will have dinner and camp our first night.
Day 2: Soyrococha – Huayraqmachay – Collpapampa
The second day after breakfast we climb to the highest point a pass lose to Nevado Salkantay (4,600 meters) from this point we can see the snow-covered Salkantay, we also have a breathtaking view of the snowy mountains like Umantay and Huayanay.
Today is the hardest day Then descend for an approximate 2:30 pm to Huayraqmachay (3700 m) where we will have a delicious lunch and then continue down through the jungle for about 3 ½ hours of walking to our second camp called Collpapampa (2600 m).
Day 3: Collpapampa – Playa – Santa Teresa
After breakfast walk downhill Ceja de Selva for a period of 6 hours, where we will see along the way coffee, coca, fruit, etc. We will also have time to take pictures of small waterfalls, parrots, hummingbirds, orchids, bamboo and much more in the tropical forest, and if you can observe the famous national bird of Peru called “Cock of the Rocks”.
Then We have Lunch at a place called Playa (2250 m) and then continue the trek to Santa Teresa Town (1,700 m) where we camp.
Day 4: Santa Teresa – Hidroelectrica – Aguas Calientes.
After breakfast, we crossed the Upper Urubamba river and then walked to Hydroelectric train station (km 116) where we have lunch. Then continue with the walk for a period of 3 hours to reach Aguas Calientes (2000 m).Overnight in a hostel (based on double occupancy).
DAY 5: Machu picchu – Cusco
After an early breakfast we head to the bus station where we boarded the first bus to Machu Picchu, where we have a guided tour for 3 hours aprox. Having free time to explore the archaeological site.
Alternatively you can visit the mountain Huayna Picchu, Temple of the Moon and sun door (Intipunku).
Then return by bus to Aguas Calientes to take the train back to Cusco.
- If you wish to enter Wayna Picchu, you must pay $ 20 (twenty dollars)
- All buses from the Inca Trail leave passengers at Plaza San Francisco, you must return on your own to your hotel.
- Departure: 5.00 am, pick up from your accommodation the first day.
- Return: about 8:30 p.m. on the fourth day
Salkantay Trek Include
- Prívate Transportation: Cusco – Mollepata
- Train: Aguas Calientes – Cusco-backpacker train – if you want another kind of train let us know in advance Reunión
- informativa 1 día antes previa al viaje en nuestras oficinas.
- Entry: Machu Picchu – adult If students have the ISIC card and CARD, let us know ahead of time to apply the relevant discount.
- Bus: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes
- Bus: Playa – Santa Teresa
- Hotel: Acomodación doble en Aguas Calientes (Cuarto día- habitaciones dobles).
- Briefing prior 1 day prior to the trip in our offices.
- Hotel: double accommodation in Aguas Calientes (Day Four- doble room).
- Professional bilingual guide (English / Spanish).
- Assistant Guide: From 12 people.
- Cook: In charge of food preparation.
- Carriers: Responsible for the management of horses and camping equipment. Horses: Carry tents, food, cooking equipment, backpacks, sleeping bags and matrass (8 kg/17 lbs per person).
- Meals: 4 Breakfasts / 4 Lunches / 4 Dinners and snacks.
- Equipment: Double tents, matrass, dining tent, toilet tent, kitchen tent, chairs, tables and first aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Breakfast and lunch the first day last day.li>
- Sleeping bag.
- Tips for guides, porters and cooks.
- Sleeping bag
- Flashlight, and batteries, pocket knife, matches
- Toilet paper.
- Plastic bags (to protect cameras and littering).
- Water purifying tablets.
- Waterproof jacket.
- 4 poles.
- A long trousers.
- A pair of shorts.
- Several pairs of socks.
- Rain coat.
- Slippers or sandals to rest your feet in the camp.
- A hat.
- Swimsuit (hot springs)
The cost of this Tour is expressed in American dollars and is per person, the cost will depend on the hotel accommodation you choose, we work with hotels from 2** to 5**** stars, it will also depend on the type of room required : single (1 person), double (2 people) and triple (3 people). You can request the list of hotels we work with for your choice.
Important – In the months of January – April the services of the companies Inka Rail and Peru Rail leave and arrive at the stations of Ollantaytambo or Pachar (2 hours from the city of Cusco). – The prices of our Tours include transfers to these stations
Discounts: Our packages Perú Travel Salkantay Trek to Macchupicchu 5 Days 4 nights from 3 people have a special discount for all our tour packages.